This savory jam of cooked bacon, onion, chipotles, Mexican chocolate, and coffee is really something special.
Recipe from Homesick Texan, via our friend Khanh.
- 1 pound of bacon
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 sliver of onion
- 1-4 chipotles en adobo (depending on the level of heat you can tolerate)
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce (from the can)
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Mexican hot chocolate
- 1 cup of brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper to taste
Cook the bacon until fat is rendered, but not too crisp. Cut cooked bacon into two-inch sized pieces.
On medium heat, cook the onion and garlic in one tablespoon of rendered bacon fat in a medium-sized pot for two minutes. Add the cooked bacon, spices, apple-cider vinegar and coffee. Simmer on low for two hours, stirring occasionally. If jam starts to get dry, add water, 1/4 cup at a time.
After two hours, place bacon jam into a food processor, and puree for two or three seconds, tops. You just want to bring it together but still have some chunks.