These chops are smothered in a mixture of bacon, onions, apples, and cranberry sauce, and then baked.
Jeanne-Marie is a wonderful Internet reader who, a few years ago, shared her entire Christmas menu, along with this recipe.
- 8 center cut pork chops, bone optional, trimmed of fat
- 12 pieces thickly sliced bacon, uncooked, chopped fine
- 2 large or 4 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 large or 8 small cooking apples (Rome, Macintosh, Granny Smith, etc.), cored, not peeled, chopped roughly
- 2 cups cranberry sauce (jellied or fresh)
Preheat oven to 375º.
Rinse pork chops and pat dry. Salt. Place in a large baking dish.
Combine uncooked chopped bacon, unpeeled chopped apples, chopped onions and cranberry sauce in a large bowl. Mix well. Spoon the mixture over each of the pork chops. If there is enough, simply cover the entire baking dish.
Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. Cover loosely with foil if necessary to prevent over-browning.
Good served with rice. Delicious hot or cold.