This combination of tomatoes, onions, and chicken, mildly scented with garam masala isn’t the most authentic Indian dish, but it’s a welcoming slow cooker meal at the end of a work day.
Recipe from Real Simple.
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup basmati or some other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Place the chicken on top of the mixture, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Thirty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
Just before serving, stir the cream into the chicken tikka masala. Serve over the rice with the cucumber relish.