This chili of onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, black beans, chipotle, cilantro, and sweet potato is satisfying and economical.
Recipe from Serious Eats.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small chipotle chile pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro stems
- Kosher salt
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/2 lime (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
Heat oil in large Dutch oven or heavy-lidded saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and peppers until soft and beginning to caramelize, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder and continue to sauté until very fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans, chipotle, cilantro stems, and 1 tsp. salt. Turn heat to high, and pour in beer. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add sweet potatoes.
Continue to simmer until potatoes are tender, but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Taste for seasoning. Spoon chili into bowls and garnish with cilantro leaves, a squeeze of lime, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with corn bread.