When you fire up the grill this summer, char the corn and assemble this fresh salad before you grill the main dish.
Recipe from Epicurious.
- 12 ears of corn, husked
- 6 tbs. olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (loosely packed) fresh basil leaves, large leaves torn
- 1/3 cup (or more) fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high. Rub corn with 1 Tbs. oil. Grill, turning frequently, until corn is charred and heated through, 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove from grill; when cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs and transfer to a large bowl. (Corn can be made 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Place onion in a strainer and rinse with cold water to mellow its flavor. Drain well. Mix onion, remaining 5 Tbs. oil, tomatoes, basil, 1/3 cup lime juice, and thyme into corn. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more lime juice, if desired.
Salad can be assembled 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.