My Mom’s cousin Gail brought these baked beans to the Campbell family reunion at Phil and ‘Trelle’s house in Georgia last year. When I got back to Texas, I came across the recipe in a recent magazine.
Ground beef is the unexpected ingredient here. Add it to bacon, barbecue sauce, molasses, Dijon mustard, and three kinds of beans.
Recipe from Southern Living.
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb. ground beef (optional)
- 10 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can pork and beans, undrained
- 2 Tbs. molasses
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
Cook onion and, if desired, ground beef in a Dutch oven, stirring until meat crumbes and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in bacon and remaining ingredients, and spoon into a lightly greased 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Chill 8 hours, if desired.
Bake bean mixture at 350º for 1 hour, stirring once.